Everyone knows that networking is key to business success. But how to get started with networking? Here are some ideas to make networking easy.
What Is Networking?
Before we dive into how to get started with networking, let’s answer a more basic question. What is networking, exactly?
Simply put, networking is the process of creating a professional network.
While the terms “network” and “networking” are often used when people talk about computers, “networking” in a professional sense refers to building relationships.
This includes relationships with all types of people. From up-and-comers to insiders and influential figures in your field, you want to cast a wide net when it comes to networking.
You want to create this type of network because success is about what you know and what you can do, but also about who you know. Knowing the right person can make all the difference in the world, opening doors that you may not be able to access otherwise.
Networking: How to Get Started
Now we come to the question: how to get started with networking?
For some people, networking comes naturally. For others, it feels like a chore they have to put up with. The good news is that networking is a skill and like any other skill, you can master it with practice. And once you master it, it’s only a matter of time before you start loving it.
Here are some easy ways to get started with networking:
- Join a chamber of commerce. If you are looking for the easiest, most straightforward way to network, look no further than your local chamber of commerce. Chambers of commerce are built on networking. From online listings and directories to events, they give you all the tools you need to build a career-changing network.
- Take advantage of technology. Over the last few years, social media has opened up new and exciting possibilities in networking. LinkedIn, in particular, is a tool that can help you make new acquaintances, build new relationships and stay up-to-date with the most relevant news in your industry.
- Get the basics right. As with many other things, getting the basics right goes a long way toward being successful with networking. Simple steps, such as always carrying business cards with you and having a polished, well-rehearsed elevator pitch take a lot of the stress out of networking.
More Tips and Ideas
At the ONE Inland Empire Chamber of Commerce, we are always looking for ideas that help foster the growth of your business. Here are some previous posts to help you do just that:
- Considering seasonal hiring for Christmas? Keep these tips in mind
- 3 Simple ways to protect yourself against identity theft
- Common grammar mistakes to avoid in your business emails
- The key to becoming a better leader
Interested in learning more about the ONE Inland Empire Chamber of Commerce? Contact us today by email (email@example.com), telephone (951-280-3902), or social media. We look forward to hearing from you!